Friday, February 13, 2009

Doctor Appointment

I am still measuring on target and there is still no effacement or dilation, so Little One seems quite comfortable. Little One IS head down and has moved low enough to be felt without a sonogram. He/she has not dropped, but is moving in the right direction. The baby's heartbeat is in the 140s now.

My blood pressure was 120/70 which is unusually high for me, but the doctor wasn't worried since it is still a normal blood pressure. I am definitely retaining water and the doctor said to put my feet up when I'm home, but other than that I can continue normal activities. My weight is up because of the water, but it didn't bother the doctor. I'm at 35 pounds now, but I SWEAR the last six pounds were water, so can I just stop counting and say I gained about 30???

I did test positive as a carrier for Group B Strep. If you've had a baby, you know what this means. If you haven't, here's a brief synopsis: One in three women test positive as a carrier. Group B Strep will not hurt an adult, but can hurt a baby, so all pregnant women are tested at 37 weeks. If you are a carrier (or you go into labor before you are tested), you will be administered antibiotics during labor to prevent an outbreak of the strep which could be transmitted to your child. Only one in 4,000 babies get the Strep if mom has antibiotics during labor, so there is EXTREMELY little actual risk. It does mean, though, that I have to have antibiotics during labor and that we will have to stay in the hospital an extra day to have the baby monitored to be sure that the strep does not break out. I keep being told that an extra day in the hospital is a GOOD thing - we'll see...

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

You sound just like me! I had no dialation or effacement before I went into labor two days early! He never dropped either. He was up in the right side of my ribs too. Now I stare at those feet trying to remember what they felt like from the inside...I can barely remember! Jonah didn't drop completely until literally right before I delivered him. That's what we were waiting on, I had actually been fully dialated for a little while and we were waiting for him to drop that last little bit! So while you don't feel like your progressing you could be hours away from being in labor! Best of luck!!

Robyn Beele said...

I am glad you had a good doctor's apt. That sucks you have Strep B but I am sure everything will be fine.