Thursday, August 20, 2009

Daddy the Road Warrior

You've now seen the pictures and heard the stories from our wonderful family trip to Denver. Aaron really did well, and we are so thankful for that. We were able to book tickets to Ohio for Thanksgiving with a nice sense of confidence. Had Aaron's flying experience not gone well, our other traveling alternative would have been to drive to Ohio. That's a 16-20 hour drive when it's just Sara and I and we are pushing it hard. It might have taken the whole week just to get there! But thankfully, we will be flying and he will do as well as he did on the Denver trip.

I was able to enjoy a day and a half at home, and now am in California on a business trip. I get home tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, am home Saturday and part of Sunday, then leave again for another quick trip to Colorado Springs. On the one hand I am thankful for a really nice work project that requires me to do what I am doing. If I had more time, this project would have allowed me the opportunity to go on several international trips (Montreal, Scotland, Philippines and Australia). But I'll stick with the two domestic trips and call it good.

I have discovered something, though. I don't like to be away from my family. You would think that a few nights in a quiet place would allow me to catch up on some much-needed sleep. If last night was any indication, though, not so much. I woke up a lot. And each time I woke up, I realized Sara and Aaron weren't there. I'll take a night of sleep at home (even if it is interrupted by a hungry little boy) over a quiet hotel room any day of the week!

I leave in the morning and will be home by late afternoon. Can't get here soon enough for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such epiphanies are wonderful, aren't they?! Realizing that what you have at home is the best you could ever hope for is a blessing indeed. Praying for safe journeys for you.

Love --OH mom/gma